August 27, 2023

Altered Images 2014-2019 Collection

I started using Photoshop back in the 1990s, and I switched to Lightroom almost as soon as it appeared on the market. So I was pretty familiar with the kinds of capabilities that image processing programs had. What I didn't know was how they did what they did.

When I retired from a career as a computer programmer, I decided that I needed to figure out how this digital image processing stuff worked. So I downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio and began to learn how to do image processing using the C# programming language. I started simply. My first program read in a color image file and converted it to black-and-white. (Actually, that's more complicated than you might think.) As I progressed, I began writing programs that converted photographs into images that were obviously not straight photographs. These programs were mostly learning experiences, but I found that I liked the results of some of them. So I began to keep some of these "altered images".

I now have five altered-image programs. (See the Articles list on the main page.) At the end of each year, I take the photos that have appeared here "On the Cork Board" during the year, and I run them through each of these five programs. Then I edit the results and keep the good ones. I usually get around 20 good altered images per year, and I post them "On the Cork Board" during the year.

This year, I decided that the altered images made from photos taken from 2014 through 2019 would support a best-of-the-best Collection, like the Collections I make from my straight photographs. So that's what this post is: The first Collection of altered images. Note that this collection also exists as a set of prints in a nice portfolio box.

Click any image to see it bigger.

 

1 comment:

Duwan said...

Nice! I really like the one of Michelle - her being my friend and all. But I like how it separates out the unimportant things and focuses on the things that make it an endearing image, like her smile.

And the pic with the 3 people. I like how one person is cut off. It makes you wonder what is outside the frame.

I love that your programs bring emphasis to shape, texture, andcpattern.